The current structure located on Avon Isle was constructed between 1925 and 1926 by F. J. Roth. The structure was initially called the Dance Pavilion and provided a home for many community activities.
In 1854 a steam sawmill was built adjacent to Avon Isle and a deep channel was constructed to increase the velocity of the water to the sawmill. This construction truly rendered Avon Isle an island. In the 1870's the Avon Isle Park was used as Avon's Fairgrounds, where agriculture fairs were held.
Local groups used the structure for quilting bees, dances, picnics, clambakes and by volunteers for the war efforts. Since the cities of Lorain and Elyria had banned dancing on Sundays, frustrated residents flocked to the Avon Isle to dance to the sounds of the big bands, including Guy Lombardo. In later years, amateur and professional boxing matches, such as Golden Gloves, were held at the Avon Isle.
In 1997, the City of Avon purchased the Avon Isle along with four acres of surrounding land. The Parks & Recreation Department offices operated from the building until 2003. After the building was placed on the National Register for Historic Places in July 2010, the restoration of the old dance hall began shortly thereafter.
The Avon Isle is now available for rent! The building is air conditioned, has a warming kitchen and seats 120. Please call the Parks & Recreation Department at 440-937-6106 for pricing and availability.