Garbage and Recycling
*ATTENTION* - The City of Avon is working in conjunction with Republic Services to provide dumpsters for residents to dispose of their yard waste and bulk items
- Dumpsters will be available from Wednesday, April 8 through Tuesday, April 14 at the following three locations:
- Lions Community Center (2155 Eaton Drive - across from Northgate Park)
- Schwartz Road Park (35001 Schwartz Road)
- The parking lot of Every Child’s Playground (36265 Detroit Road)
- Please note - This is NOT a spring clean-up. Please be considerate of ALL residents and only place what is necessary in the dumpsters.
- This is a short-term solution to help us get through the temporary suspension of curbside bulk and yard waste pick up from Republic Services
- Our annual "Spring Clean Up" will take place at a later date.
- This service is for AVON RESIDENTS ONLY
*NOTICE* - REGARDING REPUBLIC SERVICES - EFFECTIVE MONDAY, MARCH 30TH AND UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, REPUBLIC SERVICES WILL BE OPERATING UNDER THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES:
- We will accept cart contents only. Drivers will not be authorized to leave their vehicle to pick up waste outside the cart
- Yard Waste and Bulk programs are suspended
- We may need to use alternative disposal methods if there are disruptions to recycling processing capabilities or if recycling contamination increases. It is important to keep waste out of your recycling container.
*NOTICE* - REGARDING THE SIMPLE RECYCLING CURBSIDE PROGRAM (ORANGE BAGS) - EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, ALL SIMPLE RECYCLING COLLECTION OPERATIONS ARE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED AND WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
*NOTICE* - CHECK BACK HERE FOR INFORMATION REGARDING THE CITYWIDE RESIDENTIAL PAPER SHRED EVENT SCHEDULED FOR MAY 2ND 9AM - NOON. IF THE HEALTH CRISIS HAS NOT SUBSIDED BY THAT TIME, THE EVENT WILL BE CANCELED.
Republic Services provides residential curbside garbage and recycling collection in the City of Avon. For more information, visit their website Republic Services, Inc. If you need to establish service, discuss billing or report garbage and/or recycling that was not collected, contact Republic Services at 440-458-3216 or 440-458-5191. Be prepared to identify your location with your account number (if you have one) and/or your complete street address.
- Bulk Items (PDF) collection by Republic Services is the FIRST MONDAY of each month. Please refer to the calendar (PDF) for specific dates. Before setting your Refrigerator curbside for Bulk collection, please refer to the recovery listing (PDF) for possible assistance with Freon removal.
- Yard Waste collection by Republic Services for 2020 - April 13 thru Nov 30 Please place your yard waste in brown bags specifically made for yard waste OR in a traditional trash can clearly marked "YARD WASTE" for collection by Republic Services.
- View helpful information (PDF) about what you can place in your curbside recycling cart for collection by Republic Services.
DAY AND TIME OF COLLECTION
Garbage and Recycling materials will be picked up on Monday of each week for all residential customers in Avon that contract for this service with Republic Services, except when there is a a major holiday and then your garbage and recycling items will be collected on the following day. Please place your garbage and recycling carts near the curb by 6:00 a.m. on collection day, or preferably the night before, after 6:00 p.m. There is not a specific time for collection on a given street and collection times may vary due to volume, construction, time of year, weather, etc.
HOLIDAYS WHEN COLLECTION WILL BE DELAYED
Collection will be affected by the following holidays:
- Thanksgiving 11/28/19 - NO DELAY-Collection will be Monday, Nov. 25, 2019
- Christmas 12/25/19 - NO DELAY-Collection will be Monday, Dec. 23, 2019
- New Year’s Day 1/1/20 - NO DELAY - Collection will be Monday, January 6, 2020
- Memorial Day 5/25/20 - Collection will be Tuesday, May 26, 2020
- Independence Day 7/4/20 - NO DELAY - Collection will be Monday, July 6, 2020
- Labor Day 9/7/20 - Collection will be Tuesday, September 8, 2020
- Thanksgiving 11/26/20 - NO DELAY - Collection will be Monday, November 23 & 30, 2020
- Christmas 12/25/20 - NO DELAY - Collection will be Monday, December 21 & 28, 2020
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES
- FREE Residential Document Shred Events for Avon residents in 2020 will be Saturday, May 2nd and September 19th from 9:00 am to NOON in the Avon City Hall parking lot (36080 Chester Road)
- The Avon Service Department will collect branches placed on the tree lawn for mulching. Do NOT bundle these branches as the City places them directly into a chipper. Questions about branch collection should be directed to the Service Department at 440-937-5729. Your branches should not be larger than 12-inches in diameter.
- Republic Services will collect your branches curbside on BULK collection day; however, you MUST bundle them and they should be no heavier than 40 pounds and no longer than 4-foot in length.
- The City of Avon leaf collection program is a service operated by the Avon Service Department. The program begins in the fall and continues until the 2nd Friday in December (weather permitting). DO NOT BAG your leaves for collection by the City. Please do NOT rake leaves into the street, but onto the tree lawn making sure they are free of gravel and other debris. Questions about leaf collection should be directed to the Service Department at 440-937-5729.
- You may BAG your leaves for collection by Republic Services for yard waste pickup during yard waste collection season using yard waste bags (April 13 through November 30). After yard waste collection ends by Republic Services you can bag your leaves using regular trash bags and place them curbside on BULK day for collection.
WHERE CAN I TAKE ITEMS NOT COLLECTED BY REPUBLIC SERVICES?
- Lorain County Solid Waste Management District Collection Center 540 South Abbe Road, Elyria 440-329-5440
Monday - Noon to 4pm
Wednesday - Noon to 6pm
Saturday - 9am to 3pm
- You must show proof of residency in Lorain County, Ohio
- View a list of acceptable household hazardous items (PDF) at the Collection Center.
- Visit the Solid Waste Management website
SIMPLE RECYCLING PROGRAM
This FREE program launched on March 1, 2019. Simply place your unwanted textiles in the orange bag supplied by Simple Recycling and place it curbside on trash and recycling collection day and Simple Recycling will pick it up for recycling. This company is independent of Republic Services. For More information read the PRESS RELEASE or visit the SIMPLE RECYCLING website. If you need bags you can order them through their website or call 866-835-5068. Please be aware that collection of your Simple Recycling bag does not necessarily follow the same route schedule as Republic Services. If it is AFTER 5:00 pm on collection day and your Simple Recycling bag has not been picked up, please visit their website or call the above number to notify the company of a missed pickup.
What happens to the collected clothing? All the materials are graded and sorted locally and/or regionally based on quality and condition. The top quality materials will be resold to local thrift outlets, mid grade is exported to international markets and "unusable" items are processed for raw materials.
HELPFUL RECYCLING LINKS
- Republic Services Recycling Guide
- Recycling Simplified
- Simple Recycling Program
- Lorain County Solid Waste Management District
- Recycling Tips for Your Home & Office
- Keep America Beautiful
- Keep Ohio Beautiful
- Aluminum Cans for Burn Children
- Cleveland Furniture Bank
- Earth 911
- E-Scrap Recycling
- Appliance Recycling (PDF)
- 19 Ways to Stop Creating Unnecessary Trash
- Video - What Happens to Plastic Bags at a Recycling Center
- Home Recycling Guide Information
- Should GLASS be placed in my curbside Recycling Cart?
- Where to Donate a Car to Benefit Veterans
- When and How to Recycle Home Appliances
- Mattress Disposal Guide
WHERE CAN I RECYCLE CLEAN PLASTIC (Grocery) BAGS?
- HEINEN’S - 35980 Detroit Road
- MARC’S - 35901 Detroit Road
- WALMART - 35901 Chester Road
- TARGET - 35830 Detroit Road