Garbage and Recycling
Watch for a postcard to arrive soon explaining this FREE program that will launch Friday, March 1, 2019. For more information visit the Simple Recycling website.
SIMPLE RECYCLING PROGRAM
Republic Services provides residential curbside garbage and recycling collection in the City of Avon. For more information, visit their website Republic Services, Inc. If you need to establish service, discuss billing or report garbage and/or recycling that was not collected, contact Republic Services at 440-458-5191. Be prepared to identify your location with your account number (if you have one) and/or your complete street address.
- Bulk Items collection by Republic Services in 2019 will be the FIRST FULL WEEK of each month. Please refer to the calendar for specific dates. Before setting your Refrigerator curbside for Bulk collection, please refer to this listing for possible assistance with Freon removal.
- Yard Waste collection by Republic Services for 2019 - April 12 thru Dec 6 Please place your yard waste in brown bags specifically made for yard waste OR in a traditional trash can clearly marked "YARD WASTE" for collection by Republic Services.
- Click HERE for helpful information about what you can place in your curbside recycling cart for collection by Republic Services.
DAY AND TIME OF COLLECTION
Garbage and Recycling materials will be picked up on Friday of each week for all residential customers in Avon that contract for this service with Republic Services, except when there is a a major holiday (see schedule below) and then your garbage and recycling items will be collected on Saturday. Please place your garbage and recycling carts near the curb by 6:00 a.m. on FRIDAY morning, or preferably the night before, after 6:00 p.m. There is not a specific time for collection on a given street and collection times may vary due to volume, construction, time of year, weather, etc.
HOLIDAYS WHEN COLLECTION WILL BE DELAYED
Collection will be affected by the following holidays:
- Christmas 12/25/18 - Collection will be Saturday, December 29, 2018
- New Year's Day 1/1/19 - Collection will be Saturday, January 5, 2019
- Memorial Day 5/27/19 - Collection will be Saturday, June 1, 2019
- Independence Day 7/4/19 - Collection will be Saturday, July 6, 2019
- Labor Day 9/7/19 - Collection will be Saturday, September 7, 2019
- Thanksgiving 11/28/19 - Collection will be Saturday, November 30, 2019
- Christmas 12/25/19 - Collection will be Saturday, December 28, 2019
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES
- Christmas Tree Collection by Republic Services will be January 11, 2019
- FREE Residential Document Shred Events for Avon residents in 2019 will be Saturday, May 4th and September 21st from 9:00 am to NOON in the Avon City Hall parking lot (36080 Chester Road)
WHERE CAN I TAKE ITEMS NOT COLLECTED BY REPUBLIC SERVICES?
- Lorain County Solid Waste Management District Collection Center
540 South Abbe Road, Elyria
Monday - Noon to 4pm
Wednesday - Noon to 6pm
Saturday - 9am to 3pm
- You must show proof of residency in Lorain County, Ohio
- Click HERE for a list of acceptable household hazardous items at the Collection Center.
- Visit their website by clicking HERE
HELPFUL RECYCLING LINKS
- Republic Services Recycling Guide
- Recycling Simplified
- Lorain County Solid Waste Management District
- Simple Recycling Program
- Keep Ohio Beautiful
- Aluminum Cans for Burn Children
- Cleveland Furniture Bank
- Earth 911
- E-Scrap Recycling
- Appliance Recycling
- 19 Ways to Stop Creating Unnecessary Trash
- Video of What Happens to Plastic Bags at a Recycling Center
- The Avon Service Department will collect branches placed on the tree lawn for mulching. Do NOT bundle these branches as the City places them directly into a chipper. Questions about branch collection should be directed to the Service Department at 440-937-5729. Your branches should not be larger than 12-inches in diameter.
- Republic Services will collect your branches curbside on collection day; however, you MUST bundle them and they should be no heavier than 40 pounds and no longer than 4-foot in length.
- The City of Avon leaf collection program is a service operated by the Avon Service Department. The program begins in the fall and continues until the 2nd Friday in December (weather permitting). DO NOT BAG your leaves for collection by the City. Please do NOT rake leaves into the street, but onto the tree lawn making sure they are free of gravel and other debris. Questions about leaf collection should be directed to the Service Department at 440-937-5729.
- You may BAG your leaves for collection by Republic Services for yard waste pickup during yard waste collection season (April 12 thru Dec 6). After yard waste collection ends by Republic Services you can bag your leaves and place them curbside on bulk day for collection.
WHERE CAN I RECYCLE CLEAN PLASTIC (Grocery) BAGS?
- HEINEN'S - 35980 Detroit Rd.
- MARC'S - 35901 Detroit Rd.
- WALMART - 35901 Chester Rd.
- TARGET - 35830 Detroit Rd.