Garbage and Recycling
REGARDING REPUBLIC SERVICES
Republic Services provides residential curbside garbage and recycling collection in the City of Avon. For more information, visit their website Republic Services, Inc. If you need to establish service, discuss billing or report garbage and/or recycling that was not collected, contact Republic Services at 440-458-3216 or 440-458-5191. Be prepared to identify your location with your account number (if you have one) and/or your complete street address.
- Bulk Items (PDF) collection by Republic Services in 2019 will be the FIRST FULL WEEK of each month. Please refer to the calendar (PDF) for specific dates. Before setting your Refrigerator curbside for Bulk collection, please refer to the recovery listing (PDF) for possible assistance with Freon removal.
- Yard Waste collection by Republic Services for 2019 - April 15 through Nov 30 Please place your yard waste in brown bags specifically made for yard waste OR in a traditional trash can clearly marked "YARD WASTE" for collection by Republic Services.
- View helpful information (PDF) about what you can place in your curbside recycling cart for collection by Republic Services.
DAY AND TIME OF COLLECTION
*PLEASE READ CAREFULLY*
In 2019 Garbage and Recycling materials will be picked up on Friday (January through April) and Monday (May through December) of each week for all residential customers in Avon that contract for this service with Republic Services, except when there is a a major holiday and then your garbage and recycling items will be collected on the following day. Please place your garbage and recycling carts near the curb by 6:00 a.m. on collection day, or preferably the night before, after 6:00 p.m. There is not a specific time for collection on a given street and collection times may vary due to volume, construction, time of year, weather, etc.
HOLIDAYS WHEN COLLECTION WILL BE DELAYED
Collection will be affected by the following holidays:
- Christmas 12/25/18 - Collection will be Saturday, December 29, 2018
- New Year's Day 1/1/19 - Collection will be Saturday, January 5, 2019
- Memorial Day 5/27/19 - Collection will be Tuesday, May 28, 2019
- Independence Day 7/4/19 - NO DELAY-Collection will be Monday, July 1, 2019
- Labor Day 9/7/19 - Collection will be Tuesday, September 3, 2019
- Thanksgiving 11/28/19 - NO DELAY-Collection will be Monday, Nov. 25, 2019
- Christmas 12/25/19 - NO DELAY-Collection will be Monday, Dec. 23, 2019
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES
- FREE Residential Document Shred Events for Avon residents in 2019 will be Saturday, May 4th and September 21st from 9:00 am to NOON in the Avon City Hall parking lot (36080 Chester Road)
- The Avon Service Department will collect branches placed on the tree lawn for mulching. Do NOT bundle these branches as the City places them directly into a chipper. Questions about branch collection should be directed to the Service Department at 440-937-5729. Your branches should not be larger than 12-inches in diameter.
- Republic Services will collect your branches curbside on BULK collection day; however, you MUST bundle them and they should be no heavier than 40 pounds and no longer than 4-foot in length.
- The City of Avon leaf collection program is a service operated by the Avon Service Department. The program begins in the fall and continues until the 2nd Friday in December (weather permitting). DO NOT BAG your leaves for collection by the City. Please do NOT rake leaves into the street, but onto the tree lawn making sure they are free of gravel and other debris. Questions about leaf collection should be directed to the Service Department at 440-937-5729.
- You may BAG your leaves for collection by Republic Services for yard waste pickup during yard waste collection season using yard waste bags (April 15 through November 30). After yard waste collection ends by Republic Services you can bag your leaves using regular trash bags and place them curbside on BULK day for collection.
WHERE CAN I TAKE ITEMS NOT COLLECTED BY REPUBLIC SERVICES?
- Lorain County Solid Waste Management District Collection Center 540 South Abbe Road, Elyria 440-329-5440
Monday - Noon to 4pm
Wednesday - Noon to 6pm
Saturday - 9am to 3pm
- You must show proof of residency in Lorain County, Ohio
- View a list of acceptable household hazardous items (PDF) at the Collection Center.
- Visit the Solid Waste Management website
SIMPLE RECYCLING PROGRAM
This FREE program launched on March 1, 2019. Simply place your unwanted textiles in the orange bag supplied by Simple Recycling and place it curbside on trash and recycling collection day and Simple Recycling will pick it up for recycling. This company is independent of Republic Services. For More information read the PRESS RELEASE or visit the SIMPLE RECYCLING website. If you need bags you can order them through their website or call 866-835-5068. Please be aware that collection of your Simple Recycling bag does not necessarily follow the same route schedule as Republic Services. If it is AFTER 5:00 pm on collection day and your Simple Recycling bag has not been picked up, please visit their website or call the above number to notify the company of a missed pickup.
What happens to the collected clothing? All the materials are graded and sorted locally and/or regionally based on quality and condition. The top quality materials will be resold to local thrift outlets, mid grade is exported to international markets and "unusable" items are processed for raw materials.
HELPFUL RECYCLING LINKS
- Republic Services Recycling Guide
- Recycling Simplified
- Simple Recycling Program
- Lorain County Solid Waste Management District
- Keep America Beautiful
- Keep Ohio Beautiful
- Aluminum Cans for Burn Children
- Cleveland Furniture Bank
- Earth 911
- E-Scrap Recycling
- Appliance Recycling (PDF)
- 19 Ways to Stop Creating Unnecessary Trash
- Video - What Happens to Plastic Bags at a Recycling Center
- Home Recycling Guide Information
WHERE CAN I RECYCLE CLEAN PLASTIC (Grocery) BAGS?
- HEINEN'S - 35980 Detroit Road
- MARC'S - 35901 Detroit Road
- WALMART - 35901 Chester Road
- TARGET - 35830 Detroit Road