Garbage and Recycling
REPUBLIC SERVICES IS EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT BEGINNING THE FIRST WEEK OF MAY 2022, THEY WILL BEGIN PROVIDING RESIDENTS WITH WEEKLY BULK COLLECTION SERVICES ON THEIR REGULAR SERVICE DAY (MONDAY). SINCE THEY ARE INCREASING BULK COLLECTIONS FROM ONE WEEK PER MONTH TO A WEEKLY COLLECTION, THEY ASK THAT BULK ITEMS BE LIMITED TO FOUR (4) ITEMS ON THE WEEKLY COLLECTION DAY.
IN ADDITION, REPUBLIC SERVICES WILL NOW COLLECT YOUR YARD WASTE MATERIALS ALONG WITH THE BULK ITEMS ON A WEEKLY BASIS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR.
THIS CHANGE IS AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO THE RESIDENTS.
Republic Services provides residential curbside garbage and recycling collection in the City of Avon. For more information, visit their website Republic Services, Inc. If you need to establish service, discuss billing or report garbage and/or recycling that was not collected, contact Republic Services at 440-458-3216 or 440-458-5191. Be prepared to identify your location with your account number (if you have one) and/or your complete street address.
- Bulk Items (PDF) collection by Republic Services is YEAR ROUND ON COLLECTION DAY beginning May 2, 2022. Please refer to the calendar (PDF) for specific dates. Before setting your Refrigerator curbside for Bulk collection, please refer to this listing for possible assistance with Freon removal and/or appliance recycling options you may want to consider.Freon Recovery and Appliance Recycling Listing
- Yard Waste collection by Republic Services is YEAR ROUND ON COLLECTION DAY beginning May 2, 2022 - Please place your yard waste in brown bags specifically made for yard waste OR in clear plastic bags OR in a traditional trash can clearly marked "YARD WASTE" for collection by Republic Services.
- View helpful information (PDF) about what you can place in your curbside recycling cart for collection by Republic Services.
DAY AND TIME OF COLLECTION
Garbage and Recycling materials will be picked up on Monday of each week for all residential customers in Avon that contract for this service with Republic Services, except when there is a a major holiday and then your garbage and recycling items will be collected on the following day. Please place your garbage and recycling carts near the curb by 6:00 a.m. on collection day, or preferably the night before, after 6:00 p.m. There is not a specific time for collection on a given street and collection times may vary due to volume, construction, time of year, weather, etc.
HOLIDAYS WHEN COLLECTION WILL BE DELAYED
Collection will be affected by the following holidays:
- New Year's Day - 1/1/22 - NO DELAY - Collection will be Monday, January 3, 2022
- Memorial Day - 5/30/22 - DELAY - Collection will be Tuesday, May 31, 2022
- Independence Day - 7/4/22 - DELAY- Collection will be Tuesday, July 5, 2022
- Labor Day - 9/5/22 - DELAY- Collection will be Tuesday, September 6, 2022
- Thanksgiving- 11/24/22 - NO DELAY - Collection will be Monday, November 21 & 28, 2022
- Christmas Observed - 12/26/22 - DELAY - Collection will be Tuesday, December 27, 2022
DOCUMENT SHRED EVENTS
- FREE Residential Document Shred Events for Avon residents in 2022 will be Saturday, May 21, 2022 and Saturday, September 17, 2022 from 9:00 am to NOON in the Avon City Hall parking lot (36080 Chester Road).
- The Avon Service Department will collect branches placed on the tree lawn for mulching. Do NOT bundle these branches as the City places them directly into a chipper. Questions about branch collection should be directed to the Service Department at 440-937-5729. Your branches should not be larger than 6-inches in diameter.
- Republic Services will collect your branches curbside on any collection day beginning May 2, 2022; however, you MUST bundle them and they should be no heavier than 40 pounds and no longer than 4-foot in length.
- The City of Avon leaf collection program is a service operated by the Avon Service Department. The program begins in the fall and continues until the 2nd Friday in December (weather permitting). DO NOT BAG your leaves for collection by the City. Please do NOT rake leaves into the street, but onto the tree lawn making sure they are free of gravel and other debris. Questions about leaf collection should be directed to the Service Department at 440-937-5729.
- OR you may BAG your leaves for collection by Republic Services.
WHERE CAN I TAKE ITEMS NOT COLLECTED BY REPUBLIC SERVICES?
- Lorain County Solid Waste Management District Collection Center 540 South Abbe Road, Elyria
Visit the Solid Waste Management District website
PLEASE CHECK FOR DAYS/HOURS OF OPERATION BEFORE VISITING
- You must show proof of residency in Lorain County, Ohio
- View a list of acceptable household hazardous items (PDF) at the Collection Center.
SIMPLE RECYCLING PROGRAM
VISIT www.simplerecycling.com to schedule a pickup of your unwanted clothing, shoes and small home good items. Then you simply fill any bags or boxes, label them and place them outside your front door. Simple Recycling will give new life to your unwanted items. Learn more information here
HELPFUL RECYCLING LINKS
- Republic Services Recycling Guide
- Guide to Curbside Recycling in Lorain County
- Recycling Simplified
- Lorain County Solid Waste Management District
- Keep America Beautiful
- Keep Ohio Beautiful
- Ohio Edison Refrigerator Buyback Program
- Aluminum Cans for Burn Children
- Cleveland Furniture Bank
- Earth 911
- E-Scrap Recycling
- Video - What Happens to Plastic Bags at a Recycling Center
- Where to Donate a Car to Benefit Veterans
- When and How to Recycle Home Appliances
- Mattress Disposal Guide
- Recycling Education Programs
- Environmental Crimes Unit and Tire Disposal
WHERE CAN I RECYCLE CLEAN PLASTIC (Grocery) BAGS?
- HEINEN’S - 35980 Detroit Road
- MARC’S - 35901 Detroit Road
- WALMART - 35901 Chester Road
- TARGET - 35830 Detroit Road