UPDATE: AS OF JUNE 1, 2020 THIS FACILITY CAN REOPEN UNDER THE FOLLOWING RESPONSIBLE RESTART OHIO GUIDELINES
IMPORTANT: Click here for the guidelines (updated 2/11/2021)
37080 Detroit Road
Avon, Ohio 44011
This historic building constructed between 1925 and 1926 by F.J. Roth was initially called the Dance Pavilion and provided a home for many community activities.
In 1854 a steam sawmill was built adjacent to Avon Isle and a deep channel was constructed to increase the velocity of the water to the sawmill. This construction truly rendered Avon Isle an island. In the 1870’s the Avon Isle Park was used as Avon’s Fairgrounds, where agriculture fairs were held.
Local groups used the structure for quilting bees, dances, picnics, clambakes and by volunteers for the war efforts. Since the cities of Lorain and Elyria had banned dancing on Sundays, frustrated residents flocked to the Avon Isle to dance to the sounds of the big bands, including Guy Lombardo. In later years, amateur and professional boxing matches, such as Golden Gloves, were held at the Avon Isle.
In 1997, the City of Avon purchased the Avon Isle along with four acres of surrounding land. The Parks & Recreation Department offices operated from the building until 2003. After the building was placed on the National Register for Historic Places in July of 2010, the restoration of the old dance hall began. Today the Avon Isle has become a popular spot for weddings, receptions, graduation parties, showers, etc.
- Seating for 150 (update: 6/1/20 - Due to social distancing seating is at 66)
- Building capacity 230 (update: 6/1/20 - Due to social distancing total building capacity is 75)
- Twenty-five (25) 60" round tables (update: 6/1/20- Due to social distancing only Eleven (11) round tables)
- Five 6’ rectangle tables (update: 6/1/20- Due to social distancing only four (4) 6' rectangle tables)
- 150 Chairs (update: 6/1/20- Due to social distancing only 66 chairs)
- Outdoor patio and Gazebo
- Avon Isle Room Diagram
- Avon Isle Rental Agreement
More Information & Availability
Contact Avon Parks & Recreation Department 440-937-6106